Milan has all the time stood aside from different cities in Italy since it has a distinctively totally different vibe than the country’s different most famous destinations. Actually, because of its geographical location, Milan has a robust Swiss influence which is mirrored of their work ethic and cuisine. However don’t fear as a result of it’s still a strong city — so in this Milan journey information we’ve teamed up with some pleasant locals to cover every part you’ll want to find out about visiting this dynamic metropolis.
On this Milan Travel Guide we’ll cover what to do, what to see, what to eat, which neighborhoods to visit, and the whole lot else it’s essential to find out about exploring this great metropolis.[We’ve also written travel guides for Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, London, Paris, Rome, and multiple other cities.]
- 1 How Much It Prices To Go to Milan
- 2 How Lengthy To Go to Milan: 2-Four Days
- 3 When To Visit Milan + Weather
- 4 The Good and Not-So-Good Things About Milan
- 5 Milan’s Best Neighborhoods
- 6 Milan’s Prime Sights and Points of interest
- 6.1 Duomo Cathedral and Piazza del Duomo
- 6.2 Galleria Vittorio Emanuele Coated Purchasing Middle (Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II)
- 6.3 Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper
- 6.4 Museo del Novecento
- 6.5 Sforza Fort (Castello Sforzesco)
- 6.6 Sempione Park (Parco Sempione) and the Branca Tower
- 6.7 Leonardo da Vinci Nationwide Museum of Science & Know-how
- 6.8 Pinacoteca di Brera Advantageous Artwork Gallery
- 6.9 Scala Opera Home & Piazza della Scala
- 6.10 Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio (Basilica di Sant’Ambrogio)
- 6.11 Brera Neighborhood
- 6.12 Naviglio Grande Canal & The Navigli Neighborhood
- 6.13 Milan Central Practice Station
- 6.14 Retail Remedy
- 6.15 AC Milan San Siro Stadium
- 6.16 Experience An Previous Trolly
- 6.17 San Bernardino alle Ossa
- 6.18 Take A Free Walking Tour
- 7 The place & What To Eat in Milan
- 7.1 Trattoria Milanese
- 7.2 Luini
- 7.3 De Santis
- 7.4 Volemose Bene
- 7.5 Miscusi
- 7.6 Piz
- 7.7 Gino Sorbillo
- 7.8 Pizzeria Spontini
- 7.9 Pizzeria Piccola Ischia
- 7.10 Berbere
- 7.11 Giulio Pane e Ojo
- 7.12 Il Brutto Anatroccolo
- 7.13 Trattoria da Pino
- 7.14 Risoelatte
- 7.15 Bomba Niko Romito
- 7.16 PaninoLab
- 7.17 La Ravioleria Sarpi
- 7.18 Kebab Outlets
- 7.19 Burger Spots
- 7.20 Low cost Eats & Aperitivos
- 7.21 Best Sweets, Desserts, & Pastries in Milan
- 7.22 Best Espresso Outlets in Milan
- 8 Best Hostels in Milan
- 9 Getting Into and Around Milan
- 10 Extra Milan Travel Ideas & Assets
- 11 Day Trips from Milan
- 12 More Europe Travel Ideas
How Much It Prices To Go to Milan
Milan is one in every of Italy’s pricier cities because it’s the nation’s enterprise and style capital. However, Milan has loads of low cost transatlantic flights so you may have the ability to offset the town’s on a regular basis travel expenses with low cost airfare.
We advocate budgeting €35-€60/day for travelers on a backpacker’s price range — you possibly can easily spend extra or a bit less but this can be a good estimate on your average hostel-staying traveler.
- Points of interest: €10 (one paid attraction + any free sights)
- Food: €23/day
- Breakfast: €3
- Lunch: €6
- Dinner: €12
- Treat (dessert/beer/wine): €2
- Transportation: €1.50 (but you possibly can easily walk virtually all over the place)
- Accommodation (Hostel by way of Hostelworld): €20-28/night time or examine Booking.com for resorts.
These prices are based mostly on what you’ll need to go to the town comfortably — they don’t embrace issues like huge nights out on the bar, membership entry fees, memento/clothing purchasing, tours, random purchases, nicer meals, and so on. Don’t overlook to price range additional for these “non-essentials.”
How Lengthy To Go to Milan: 2-Four Days
Waiting for the Metro
In contrast to Rome, Venice, and Florence, Milan doesn’t have a ton of “must see” sights so you’ll be able to see all the highlights in two days. That stated, Milan still has lots to supply visitors so you possibly can simply spend a handful of gratifying days exploring the town. There are additionally plenty of close by day trips inside an hour or two from Milan by way of the practice which are value testing.
Subsequently, we advocate spending a minimum of two days in Milan if you want to see the highlights and three or four days if you want to travel slower or add in a day journey.
When To Visit Milan + Weather
by way of Google
Guests typically assume that Italy is warm year-round however that’s not the case as Milan can get fairly chilly in the winter. Then again, Milan does get scorching in the summer months so we advocate visiting April-Might or September-October for the perfect climate. That stated, Salone del Cellular (Milan Furnishings Truthful) runs for every week in mid-April and all of the resorts jack up their prices.
July and August are typically the busiest months when it comes to tourism so you’ll have the battle the most important crowds during this time. However, many locals depart the town throughout this time in favor of the beach-side towns.
Necessary Observe: Milan is constructed on swampy land so mosquitos could be very annoying in the course of the heat months (i.e. be sure to have AC as a result of you possibly can’t depart your home windows open).
Winters can get chilly and there may even be a day or two of snow however there’s extra rain than snow. That stated, there are Christmas markets beginning in early December which are all the time enjoyable to check out. Winter can also be the most cost effective time to go to outdoors of Males’s Style Week in January and Ladies’s Trend Week in February.
The Good and Not-So-Good Things About Milan
Traveling may be exhausting
- Laidback Nightlife: Milan has a couple of great neighborhoods that come alive at night time so you’ll have the ability to find a bar, restaurant, or membership that fits your fashion.
- The Duomo and the Metropolis Middle: The middle of Milan is beautiful — particularly the Duomo.
- Great Daytrips: Milan is well-connected to the rest of northern Italy so reaching other cities and areas is fast because of the practice.
- The Buying: Of course there’s purchasing. Just about anything you possibly can think about might be found in Milan — particularly luxurious items.
- Low cost Flights Into Milan: Milan tends to have loads of low cost transatlantic flights so you possibly can typically some really strong fares.
- Not a “Must-See” Metropolis: We wouldn’t put Milan on an inventory of the “top” cities in Italy. Don’t get us improper, we appreciated Milan but Rome, Florence, Venice, Sienna, and so forth. are arguably more fascinating cities to visit. So, we say maintain Milan on your second trip to Italy or spend a day or two there should you’re flying in/out of Milan.
- Not Previous-World Italy: When individuals picture Italy they consider historic Rome, the hills of Tuscany, and the canals of Venice… but Milan feels a bit extra like a European New York. It’s not essentially a nasty thing however it takes some individuals unexpectedly.
- The Costs: Milan is the business and style capital of Italy so that you’re not going to seek out a whole lot of low cost costs. Sure, there are some offers to be discovered (lots of which we cover on this information) but it’s essential to seek them out.
- Scorching Summers and Cool Winters: It may possibly get toasty in the midst of summer time and there will probably be some cold days within the winter.
Milan’s Best Neighborhoods
Milan has various unique neighborhoods so you possibly can all the time find an area to remain that matches your travel type — from vibrant and cosmopolitan life to quiet and laid-back. Moreover, Milan is a reasonably compact city so getting from one neighborhood to another is a quick stroll or straightforward subway/tram experience away.
Duomo & City Middle
Milan City Middle
On the heart of Milan, you’ll discover the Duomo cathedral and we’d think about anything inside close proximity to be thought-about the town middle. Milan is pretty compact so the town middle is the place you’ll find a lot of the buying, museums, and loads of restaurants. Naturally, it does appeal to numerous visitors so costs are elevated and quality meals might be harder to seek out.
It’s straightforward to see why individuals fall in love with the Brera neighborhood. It has long been the inventive heart of Milan because of its Renaissance-style architecture and wonderful cobblestone streets. Today costs are risen (like they all the time do) but there are still plenty of unbiased boutiques, small outlets, and streets lined with sidewalk cafes. It’s definitely one among Milan chicest and romantic space.
We also love the Navigli Neighborhood as it’s one of the hippest and most youthful elements of Milan so that you’ll discover loads of nice nightlife options right here. The canals that run by means of the world are lined with bars and restaurants however some is usually a little expensive. As you progress inward into the neighborhood you’ll find plenty of locals enjoying the world’s enjoyable outlets and budget-friendly bars/eating places. We propose visiting on a weeknight as it’s a well-liked spot for cool locals enjoyable after work — however on the weekend it’s principally tourists.
Ticinese & Porta Romana Neighborhoods
In the southern a part of Milan, you’ll discover the residential neighborhoods of Ticinese and Porta Romana. The Ticinese has a bohemian vibe because of its giant scholar inhabitants and the Porta Romana is residence to most of the metropolis’s wealthiest and most trendy residents. Both neighborhoods are fairly lowkey with a mix of hip bars, dive bars, eating places, vintage outlets, and nightlife geared toward the locals at every revenue vary.
Visit the Isola neighborhood within the northern a part of the town to expertise the fashionable and futuristic Milan. Here you’ll discover trendy skyscrapers and loads of fashionable bars, cafes, galleries, and different nightlife. It’s an fascinating space to check out as it was once a working-class and industrial area that is now dotted with ultramodern buildings — so it’s an fascinating mix. You’ll also discover lots of road artwork within the neighborhood.
When you solely go to one a part of the neighborhood we advocate heading to Corso Como — which is a road that’s house to a number of the greatest nightlife within the metropolis.
Milan’s Prime Sights and Points of interest
Milan solely has a handful of “must-visit” points of interest however between those sights, the buying, the enjoyable eating places, the neighborhoods, and day journeys, there’s lots to maintain you entertained. Here’s a record of the perfect things that Milan has to offer:
Duomo Cathedral and Piazza del Duomo
Exploring the Duomo
The Duomo Cathedral and the Piazza del Duomo is definitely the most effective factor to take a look at if you’re in Milan. Situated in the very middle of Milan, the Duomo attracts hundreds of people (and pigeons) day-after-day.
The Piazza is gorgeous and 100% value testing nevertheless it’s all the time crowded with individuals — together with numerous pickpockets so watch your stuff. We advocate visiting at night time as properly because the Duomo Cathedral and the encompassing constructing are superbly illuminated. A lot of the bars and eating places on the square are expensive but that shouldn’t be too shocking.
And, in fact, you need to visit the Duomo — which is among the world’s largest cathedrals on the planet (it will possibly maintain more than 11,000 individuals inside!) and it took over 600 years to finish. However our favourite thing concerning the Duomo is seeing the town from the Duomo’s roof.
The commonplace admission to visit simply the cathedral is €3.50. The ticket strains shall be insanely lengthy so anticipate to attend properly over an hour (in full sun) in the event you’re buying tickets on the ticket workplace (or you possibly can arrive round 30 minutes before opening). Nevertheless, you possibly can skip the ticket strains by purchasing your tickets on-line for a selected timeslot (but we advocate shopping for them a bit prematurely since they will promote out). Buy ticket instantly from the Duomo Website.
Tickets to go to the cathedral and the rooftop are €17 (elevator to the roof) or €13 (stairs to the roof). There’s also a “fast track” ticket for €25 that features the whole lot and it provides you access to a good quicker line.
You can too go to simply the rooftops for €10 (stairs), €14 (carry), or €23 (fast monitor ticket w/ carry entry).
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele Coated Purchasing Middle (Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II)
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and The Bull Mosaic
Proper next to the Duomo you’ll discover Italy’s oldest and most lovely purchasing middle. Inbuilt 1867, this impressive coated arcade now homes luxury cafés and high-end designer boutiques.
Don’t have an Amex Black Card? Don’t fear, the Galleria continues to be value visiting for the structure and window buying.
Ohh and be looking out for a mosaic of a bull on the ground because its good luck to place your foot on the bull’s testicles and spin round. You’ll be able to’t really miss all the individuals
Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper
The Final Supper is likely one of the most well-known work on the earth and it’s additionally one of the hardest work to truly see in-person. Why? Because the painting isn’t in excellent situation in order that they solely permit around 1000 individuals a day to see it. Furthermore, tour guides and ticket resellers snatch up most of the tickets so there aren’t many tickets left over for regular people.
Tickets go on sale about three months prematurely they usually’re typically bought out within a number of days of happening sale.
Full worth tickets are €12 and you should purchase them from the official website (additionally they supply a couple of English excursions day-after-day for a number of Euros additional). You may also typically score last-minute walk-up tickets each morning.
The easiest option to see the Final Supper is by reserving a third-party guided tour. The museum solely allows licensed tour guides to provide tours so that’s a constructive thing but excursions begin round $50.
The Final Supper painting is situated in the Santa Maria delle Grazie church.
Museo del Novecento
Opened in 2010, the is features round 400 pieces of twentieth-century artwork from mainly Italian artists but there are a number of international artists there as nicely (Warhol, Kosuth, Lichtenstein, Buren, and so forth.).
As an added bonus, the museum provides some very nice views of the Duomo. Admission is €10.
Sforza Fort (Castello Sforzesco)
After you’ve spent some time exploring the world across the Duomo, make the leisurely stroll to the Sforza Citadel (there’s plenty of buying along the best way).
Initially constructed in the 15th century, Sforza Citadel has lengthy been one of many largest citadels on the planet. Nowadays it homes multiple smaller museums with works from Vinci and Michelangelo and a lovely courtyard. The citadel grounds are free to visit but tickets to visit the museums are €10 (you can even buy a multi-day move if you want to take your time).
Price range Tip: There’s free entry every first and third Tuesday of the month after 2 pm.
Sempione Park (Parco Sempione) and the Branca Tower
Sempione Park is the most important park in Milan and it makes an ideal spot to flee the warmth and bustle of the town. You will discover both sunny and shaded areas so it’s a well-liked place for a nice picnic.
There’s additionally an enormous tower within the park which you can pay to go as much as get panoramic views of Milan.
Leonardo da Vinci Nationwide Museum of Science & Know-how
The Leonardo da Vinci Nationwide Museum of Science & Know-how is the most important science and know-how museum in Italy and it features reveals that span every little thing from transportation and power to Da Vinci’s innovations. There are loads of interactive reveals so this can be a nice spot for teenagers as properly. Admission is €10.
Pinacoteca di Brera Advantageous Artwork Gallery
For the most effective collections of Italian work head to the Pinacoteca di Brera. The constructing, which is a murals by itself, homes a powerful collection spanning over 36 rooms. The museum additionally has a gorgeous garden crammed with sculptures. There’s also a portray restoration lab where you possibly can see paintings being expertly restored. Admission is €12.
Scala Opera Home & Piazza della Scala
The Scala Opera House is among the most well-known opera houses on the planet and it has hosted a few of the most well-known operas and ballets for over 200 years. So, should you’re a fan of opera, you may need to catch a show. Tip: You’ll be able to score 25% off last-minute tickets for those who go to the field workplace an hour before the show begins.
We took a guided tour of the Scala and it was truthfully really dangerous — however which may have been the fault of the information.
Across the road from the Opera Home is the Piazza della Scala and it’s a pleasant spot for individuals watching.
Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio (Basilica di Sant’Ambrogio)
Whereas the Duomo will get a bulk of the eye, the 4th-century Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio continues to be value a visit in case you’re in search of something peaceful and away from the crowds.
Certainly one of our favorite neighborhood in Milan is the Brera. This pretty and inventive coronary heart of Milan is legendary for its Renaissance-style structure, cute cobblestone streets, and vibrant environment. The Brera is full of upscale buying and dining options however it really involves life at night time when the sidewalk cafes refill with individuals having fun with life. So spend some time strolling around and watch the world cross by at a sidewalk cafe.
Considered one of our favourite elements of Milan is the Navigli Neighborhood — specifically the Naviglio Grande Canal. The canal dates again lots of of years however today its one of many hippest spots in Milan. The canal is lined with dozens of bars and eating places so the world will get full of individuals having fun with the nightlife.
Nabbing a seat outdoors is all the time robust however it’s well worth the battle as its the perfect spot for individuals watching in Milan.
You’ll be able to walk to the canal from central Milan however easier to take the trolly.
Milan Central Practice Station
Opened in 1931, the Milan Central Practice Station was commissioned by Mussolini to showcase the facility of his regime. And, because of its towering partitions, its nonetheless Europe’s largest practice station by quantity. So, in case you’re traveling by means of the station, take a couple of moments to marvel on the grandiose nature of the inside and exterior of the station.
We advise arriving early since it’d take you a while to seek out your practice simply because the station is so giant. The station can also be a hotspot for pickpockets.
Milan arguably has the most effective purchasing in all of Europe — particularly relating to clothing. There are a handful of long purchasing streets with international brands, small boutiques, and nearly each luxurious brand has outlets right here.
- The primary buying area is known as the Quadrilatero Della Moda (typically referred to as the Quad d’Oro) is an upscale purchasing area that many people contemplate it one of the best buying area on the planet. See The Area on Google Maps.
- For international chain shops head to the streets of Corso Buenos Aires and on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II in the middle of the town.
- The Brera Neighborhood has small boutiques and different artsy outlets. See On Google Maps.
- The Navigli Neighborhood has plenty of unbiased and funky buying options. See On Google Maps
Trying to rating a deal on designer brands like Prana and Fendi? Head to one of the DMAG outlet stores where you possibly can rating some strong offers on designer Italian and worldwide manufacturers. See Places On Google Maps
Finances Tip: Luxurious items are often a bit cheaper in Italy than in N. America since you will get a refund on the tax if the item costs more than €155.
AC Milan San Siro Stadium
AC Milan is one among Europe’s greatest soccer teams so seeing a recreation is all the time a enjoyable expertise. The stadium can maintain more than 80,000 individuals so the environment on gameday is actually superb.
Experience An Previous Trolly
Milan has a pleasant collection of trolleys that allow you to shortly and easily cross the town. Most of the trolleys are trendy but there are nonetheless a handful of older-style automobiles.
San Bernardino alle Ossa
This church that dates back to 1210 is legendary for its small chapel adorned with quite a few human skulls and bones. It’s both fascinating and creepy so it’s value stopping in should you’re in the area.
Take A Free Walking Tour
Among the best ways to see a city is thru taking a strolling tour. Personally, we’re followers of free (aka tip-based) tours. Listed here are a number of well-liked free walking tour corporations:
The place & What To Eat in Milan
Milan has no scarcity of locations to eat ut in this guide we’re going to concentrate on native favorites and budget-friendly eating places.
However earlier than we take a look at where to eat, let’s check out local dishes that you simply may need to order.
- Espresso: Most locals order an espresso within the morning. Some may get a cappuccino or different milk-based coffee drink. Word: Milk-based espresso is seen as a breakfast drink so you may get some bizarre seems when you order a cappuccino, caffé latte, caffé macchiato, and so on after lunch.
- Risotto: The region surrounding Milan is legendary for risotto so remember to hunt down a standard restaurant that makes risotto alla Milanese.
- Polenta: Risotto might reign supreme in Milan however their polenta can also be famous throughout Italy.
- Ossobuco: Milan is legendary for their Ossobuco — a cross-cut veal shanks braised with vegetables, white wine, and broth. It’s typically served with risotto alla milanese.
- Cotoletta alla Milanese: The cotoletta alla Milanese is principally an Italian model of schnitzel. Very tasty.
- Minestrone Milanese: Take a break from the hearty cotoletta alla Milanese and gelato with some Minestrone Milanese (i.e. vegetable soup).
- Negroni Sbagliato: One among my favourite drinks it the Negroni. But in Milan they have a Negroni Sbagliato (which translates to Negroni Mistake). Legend has it that a barman in Milan mistakenly used sparkling wine as an alternative of gin and the drink turn into an area hit.
Okay, let’s take a look at some superior places to eat!
On the lookout for a standard Milanese restaurant that’s beloved by locals? Look no additional than Trattoria Milanese. This place is an old-world establishment (it’s opened in 1933) with great waiters and higher meals. Trattoria Milanese is a popular spot so anticipate a wait.
You possibly can’t visit Milan without stopping at Luini for their panzerotti — which are fluffy fried dough half-moons full of tomato, mozzarella, and other fillings (they’re sort of like a small calzone). And at underneath €Three/every, it’s no marvel why this place alllllways has an extended line of individuals ready to get their palms on these tasty treats but the line strikes shortly.
The locals know that De Santis is the place to get the perfect sandwiches in Milan — and the costs are very affordable. The employees is tremendous pleasant they usually have a pleasant choice of native beer in addition. Don’t fear if there is a line because it’s well worth the wait. I’m getting hungry simply fascinated by this place.
Here is one other one among Milan’s greatest Roma eating places. They’re recognized for generous servings of basic dishes — we advocate the cacio e pepe. Yumm. This spot is all the time busy but that’s an excellent factor.
On the subject of nice selfmade pasta at affordable prices, it’s exhausting to beat Miscusi. This multi-location restaurant is a type of places the place you’ll be completely happy to eat at a number of occasions in your visit to Milan.
There is a purpose Piz is among the hottest eating places in Milan — their wood-fired Neapolitan pizzas are scrumptious and really reasonably priced. They usually give you a free drink and a bit to eat when you wait in line. And you’ll in all probability be provided a free shot of something once you’re leaving. Anticipate a bit of a wait (particularly on Friday and Saturday) nevertheless it’s value it. You’ll in all probability need to eat here twice.
This place proves which you could get wonderful pizza in Milan so this is one other spot for pizza lovers to take a look at. It’s also close to the Duomo — so it bucks the development of dangerous pizza locations within the space.
Another native favourite pizza place that’s been round since 1953! Ohh yeah. Nevertheless, the pizza right here is served by the slice and the slices a thicker than the standard Neapolitan pizza you often discover in Italy. This can be a rather more informal spot so it doesn’t have a ton of allure but the pizza is great. By the best way, Pizzeria Spontini is situated by the practice station so it’s a pleasant place to eat once you’re on the transfer.
Pizzeria Piccola Ischia
This kitchy pizza restaurant serves up tasty wood-fired, thin-crust pizza. It’s a bit outdoors the town middle however it’s value stopping in when you’re within the space.
Take a break from pasta and pizza with these tasty flatbread sandwiches and native beer. The service is fast, the prices are very reasonably priced, the quality is nice, and there are a ton of choices to select from.
You’ll have a troublesome time discovering a extra scrumptious fried panzarotti in Milan. These sandwiches come crammed with a number of totally different elements and there are plenty of vegetarian options as properly. Additionally they have a strong beer choice. And, the prices are reasonably priced and the house owners are super pleasant.
We’re all the time in search of out the craft beer scene wherever we travel and Berbere is a pleasant spot to attempt some beer they usually have high quality pizza as properly. They’ve two places but there Isola location is a hipster favorite (so ebook ahead of you need to snag a desk).
Giulio Pane e Ojo
Giulio Pane e Ojo was advisable by a number of individuals once we visited Milan and it’s a terrific place for conventional Roman-style Italian dishes. This place is fashionable with the locals and in-the-know tourists so reservations are advisable throughout busy occasions.
Il Brutto Anatroccolo
Il Brutto Anatroccolo, which interprets to “The Ugly Duckling”, is an area favourite that’s off the well-trodden tourist path. This menu, which consists of straightforward but good conventional dishes, modifications virtually day by day so the meals is all the time recent. The prices are also very reasonably priced however it’s situated a bit outdoors the center of the town.
Il Brutto Anatroccolo fills with locals day by day so you may need to attend for a desk.
An awesome no-frills and lunch-only restaurant that makes high quality do-it-yourself pasta and reasonably priced prices. They have a small menu but the whole lot is great and the service is friendly. It’s well-liked with locals so it does get a bit busy.
See On Google Maps
Trattoria da Pino
This no-nonsense trattoria won’t be fancy they usually may cram individuals in, however it’s one of many few spots within the metropolis middle that serves up authentic Italian dishes at reasonably priced prices. This place could be very well-liked with the native lunch crowd so anticipate a little bit of a watch for a desk. Notice: They’re solely open for lunch (12-Three).
This small conventional 1960s Milan themed restaurant makes superior pasta, has top-notch service, and is in style with the locals. It feels such as you’re eating in an Italian grandmother’s home who hasn’t up to date their kitchen in over 50 years. Like it.
Bomba Niko Romito
Bombas are doughnut-like pastries crammed with both candy or savory fillings. These make a nice on-the-go breakfast or lunch choice.
PaninoLab makes some strong panini sandwiches as well as a nice number of wine and cocktails. They’re also open late so its a nice place to seize something to eat as you’re exploring the Navigli neighborhood.
La Ravioleria Sarpi
This hole-in-the-wall takeaway Chinese language takeaway has Milan buzzing because of their handmade dumplings. And, at 4 dumplings for €3, these are very reasonably priced. This spot attracts a crowd however the line moves shortly.
Vero Sapore Greco
Kebabs are all the time great choices for quick, tasty, filling, and low cost meals. There are a selection of places to get an honest kebab in Milan however listed here are a number of favorites.
- Meydan Kebap Pizza Grill: You will discover respectable kababs and Greek/Turkish meals throughout Milan however Meydan is an area favourite because of their recent components and fast service. Additionally they have pizza but yow will discover better pizza elsewhere. See On Google Maps
- NUN: Nun is among the best-rated kebab spots in Milan they usually concentrate on vegan and vegetarian choices (however they still have meat options). See On Google Maps
- Vero Sapore Greco: Situated close to the Duomo, this slightly-hidden Greek restaurant serves up authentic and delicious kebabs and different Greek dishes at affordable costs. See On Google Maps
- Anatolia Kebab & Pizza Milano: Yet one more well-loved kebab joint serving up nice quality dishes at reasonably priced prices. The employees is super pleasant they usually hold their store clean — which isn’t all the time a given. See On Google Maps
Al Marcado and Burger Wave
Typically you just need a burger so listed here are a number of strong burger joints that you simply may need to take a look at.
- Al Marcado: Al Marcado is usually stated to have the most effective burger in Milan. It’s a bit costlier but the quality is prime notch. See On Google Maps.
- Burger Wave: Burger Wave is a sequence restaurant that serves a top quality burger at a strong worth. See On Google Maps.
- Cow Burger: Another strong burger spot with a number of decisions. See On Google Maps.
- TheLab: Yet one more wonderful burgers place with nice beer and strong prices. It’s a bit outdoors the middle so it’s more of a place to eat in the event you’re already within the area. See On Google Maps.
Low cost Eats & Aperitivos
View this submit on Instagram
A publish shared by Fabio Lenea (@fabiolenea) on Nov 24, 2018 at 11:12am PST
Top-of-the-line methods to eat cheaply in Milan is to partake in an aperitivo — which is principally an Italian version of completely happy hour that sometimes runs from about 6pm-10pm. Nevertheless, many aperitivos in Milan are accompanied by a huge free buffet meal.
So how does it work?
Principally, you order a drink (which is perhaps slightly costlier than normal) and you then’re free to partake in free food that the bar places out. Typically the food is little bites to eat but at different places it’s an all-you-can-eat buffet of straightforward, but tasty, food (i.e. pasta, cheese, salad, cured meats, recent bread, desserts, and so on.).
Generally, the most effective place to take pleasure in an aperitivo is in the Bera or Navigli neighborhoods because there are a number of bars so its fun to do an aperitivo crawl.
Best Sweets, Desserts, & Pastries in Milan
Iginio Massari and Il Massimo del Gelato
You definitely gained’t have hassle discovering a candy deal with or tasty pastry in Milan. Under are a couple of of our favorite spots:
- Iginio Massari: Soo good. This place is actually a candy tooth’s heaven. It’s close to the Duomo so it’s all the time pretty crazy here. Just about every thing is delicious and delightful to take a look at. It’s not low cost however whatever. See On Google Maps
- Pasticceria Marchesi: This dessert spot is an establishment in Milan. Sure, it is expensive and touristy however these people have been making a few of Milan’s greatest goodies for the town’s well-to-do crowd since 1824. It’s now partially owned by Prada so you understand it’s fancy. They have three places in Milan. See On Google Maps
- Pasticceria Martesana Milano Cagliero: Yet one more really wonderful pastry store/cafe in Milan. We advocate any of the cannolis, tarts, or goodies (but you possibly can’t go improper with anything). See On Google Maps
- Pavè: This hipster place makes wonderful pastries (both candy and savory), desserts, and occasional so it’s a well-liked breakfast spot. The employees is good and the prices are affordable. See On Google Maps
- G. Cova & C.: It won’t be fancy “old school” Milan (although it has been round since 1930) but this centrally situated patisserie makes a variety of tasty baked goodies and occasional. Additionally they make mild dishes in case you’re on the lookout for one thing aside from a candy deal with. See On Google Maps
- Il Massimo del Gelato: This off the crushed path gelato store is extensively thought-about to make the most effective gelato in Milan. Go right here. Go twice. They have a ton of flavors (there are eight totally different sorts of chocolate in order that’s telling you something). Anticipate a line however it’s well worth the wait. See On Google Maps
- Gelateria della Musica: That is one other off the crushed path gelato shop that is one other contender for the perfect gelato in Milan they usually have a ton of unique taste combos. Anticipate a line on the fashionable occasions nevertheless it strikes shortly. They’ve expanded to 3 outlets but the unique is in the Navigli neighborhood. See On Google Maps
- Cioccolatitaliani: The top-quality gelato practice keeps on rolling alongside at Cioccolatitaliani. They’re situated right in the midst of the tourist space so service isn’t the perfect but the high quality continues to be strong. See On Google Maps
- Ciacco: This centrally situated gelato has a ton of flavors. They’re all the time busy because of their location however it’s value stopping in for those who’re within the hood. See On Google Maps
- Gelato Giusto: Another wonderful gelato place in Milan. See On Google Maps
Best Espresso Outlets in Milan
Orsonero and Cofficina Ticinese 58
You possibly can’t go to Italy without having some a couple of coffees each morning. However right here’s the thing… you’ll be able to pretty much get an excellent espresso at nearly every bar, restaurant, or pastry store. Tip: Should you simply need an espresso, order on the bar and also you’ll pay much less.
That stated, in the event you’re in search of something just a little extra high-end or are a couple of local favorites and extra specialty spots:
- Cofficina Ticinese 58: This hole-in-the-wall espresso shop is among the greatest in Milan for espresso aficionados. They make great espresso, pour overs, and milk-based espresso drinks. The store is tremendous cute nevertheless it’s not very giant so there are just a few seats. See On Google Maps
- Orsonero: This hip espresso shop seems like something you’d find in Brooklyn or Portland they usually back up the image with wonderful specialty espresso. They’ve beans you’ll not find elsewhere in Milan. Attempt the cappuccinos. This can be a small shop so there are solely about three or 4 tables. See On Google Maps
- G. Cova & C.: The coffee right here is definitely approach above common for Milan (inferior to different “specialty” outlets) nevertheless it’s a terrific spot with delicious pastries. It’s also a nice place to take a seat for a bit as there are a number of tables. See On Google Maps
- Taglio: Taglio is an excellent cool restaurant however they’ve a superb espresso bar that makes some imply espresso. Their restaurant is pretty high-end so it’s definitely not a finances place nevertheless it’s a nice place to cease for some coffee. See On Google Maps
- Cova Montenapoleone: Cova Montenapoleone is certainly one of Italy’s oldest pastry outlets in order that they make a ton of tasty treats but additionally they make some strong espresso as properly. It’s very old-school and fashionable so it’s definitely isn’t hip. See On Google Maps
- Caffè Napoli: Cafe Napoli has a couple of places round Milan — together with one close to the Duomo. We advocate making an attempt the espresso with cream because it makes it sweeter and creamier. They’ve a couple of pastries however that is more of a standard espresso bar. See On Google Maps
Best Hostels in Milan
Here’s the deal — Milan attracts a number of luxurious and enterprise travelers so there aren’t as many hostels right here than you’d find in other European cities. But, Milan does have a handful is actually nice hostels (Ostello Bello is likely one of the best-rated hostels on the planet) in order that’s nice news. A bed in a highly-rated lodge will value anyplace from about €20-€50/night time with an common around €30/night time so we’d say costs are a bit above common. Take a look at Hostelworld to see the town’s full hostel inventory and to verify present prices.
Right here’s an inventory of the best-rated hostel:
Getting Into and Around Milan
Alright, let’s check out stepping into Milan and how one can travel around the city.
The foremost airport in Milan is Malpensa (MPX) so there’s a good probability you’ll arrive/depart from right here. Getting from the airport to Milan is straightforward by way of the Malpensa Categorical Practice which takes about an hour and runs between the practice station and the airport. The Malpensa Categorical runs around every 30 minutes. Tickets value €13 by way of the Official Web site or you should purchase them on the station.
There’s also a Malpensa Shuttle Bus and the taxi has a hard and fast fare of €90.
The Linate Airport handles mainly domestic flights and its reachable by way of an Airport Bus and a City Bus which both take round 30 minutes. A Taxi will run you round €30.
Stazione Centrale Practice Station
The Stazione Centrale Practice Station is a sight to behold and it handles all of the practice visitors for Milan. It is a large station so give your self somewhat additional time to navigate your method to the practice. You should purchase practice tickets instantly from the automated machines or you’ll be able to skip the effort by shopping for tickets on-line at ItaliaRail or a third-party website like Omio or TrainLine.
The Metro & Tram
Milan isn’t a huge city so in case you’re staying in central Madrid you won’t use the Metro fairly often. That stated, the Metro is fast, environment friendly, and reasonably priced. The metro runs from about 6 am to just a little past midnight. Tickets value €1.50 every or you should purchase a set of 10 for €13.80, or you should purchase limitless day passes (24-hours for €Four.50 or 48-hour for €eight.25).
Milan’s tram network is in depth and driving it’s a enjoyable approach to journey because you get a show when you journey. Tickets are the identical because the Metro and the tram runs from around 4:30 am to somewhat after 2 am.
Tickets might be purchased by way of self-service machines, some newsstands, and from a handful of ATM (Azienda Trasporti Milanesi) Service Centers around the city. Visit The Official Website
Exploring the town by bike is all the time enjoyable (and a bit scary). Milan has a public bike share system referred to as BikeMi (visit the official web site) for reasonable short-term rentals. They’re even starting to supply pedal-assist bicycles to make it even simpler.
There are also free floating bicycle sharing providers offered by Mobike and Ofo — these providers are good since you in contrast to the bikes with a smartphone app and also you simply depart it on the sidewalk once you’re finished.
Extra Milan Travel Ideas & Assets
Listening to Rick Steves Audio Guide Whereas Exploring the Duomo Roof
Rick Steves Free Audio Strolling Tour: Rick Steves has a terrific free self-guided audio strolling tour of the Duomo and the encompassing neighborhood. We used it once we visited and located it fascinating. Check it out right here.
Insure Your Journey: We’re huge fans of buying travel insurance in case anything goes improper. We advocate World Nomads since they’re reasonably priced and have strong coverage.
Get A Good Guidebook: A information ebook is an affordable investment on your trip — we’re massive followers of Lonely Planet and Rick Steves for the price range crown. These books additionally come with self-guided walking tours which we all the time discover useful.
The Best Nightlife in Milan: The greatest nightlife (bars, eating places, clubs, and so forth) are usually discovered on Corso Como, Brera Neighborhood, and the Navigli Neighborhood (primarily around the canals). Of course, you’ll find great other locations in Milan but the areas above have the very best concentration of choices.
Free Museum Days: All of the civic museums in Milan are free on the first Sunday of the month.
Gown To Impress In The Golf equipment: Milan is the fashion capital of Europe so you’ll need to decorate properly if you want to make it past the doorman in many clubs. And anticipate to pay a premium. Of course, there are extra informal nightlight options.
No Have to Tip: Your tip is already included in your bill so don’t really feel like you want to depart anything additional.
Pickpockets On the Duomo: The Duomo is the preferred vacationer attraction so it’s additionally the preferred spot for pickpockets.
Day Trips from Milan
Because of Milan’s wonderful rail connections, Milan has numerous strong day journeys which might be within a 30 minute to round a three-hour practice journey. One other wonderful thing about Milan is that it’s surrounded by pure magnificence like lakes and mountains.
Travel Tip: We advise booking your practice tickets online so you possibly can skip the ticket machines and the long ticket window strains on the practice station. You’ll be able to e-book tickets from ItaliaRail or a third-party web site like Omio or TrainLine and have the e-tickets despatched to your telephone (so no have to print).
One of the crucial common day trips from Milan is gorgeous Lake Como (there’s a cause the rich and famous have liked spending summers right here for lots of of years). This pristine lake is just a few 30-minute practice journey from Milan so getting there’s fast, straightforward, and can value lower than €15 round journey. There are a selection of guided tours to Lake Como however it’s pretty straightforward to explore on your own with minimal planning.
There are multiple towns on Lake Como (notably Varenna. Bellagio, and Como) they usually’re all related by a water ferry.
This blog publish from Wander Knowledge did a nice job of explaining one of the simplest ways to plan your day journey, where to go, the right way to use the ferry, and so on.
The subsequent great lake day trip is Lake Maggiore — which is the second largest lake in Italy. On the lake, you’ll find a handful of lovely small cities and wonderful islands (both of which are dotted with lovely previous villas) which might be a pleasure to explore. Getting to Lake Maggiore can also be fairly easy — simply take the practice to either Cadorna or Porta Garibaldi. The journey will take between 60-90 minutes and price about €14 round trip. When you’re there, there is a water taxi that connects the small towns and islands.
Right here’s a superb article from Sher She Goes about visiting Lake Maggiore.
Can’t get enough time of the water? Then head to Lake Garda. Admittedly, we’d in all probability decide Lake Como or Lake Maggiore if we have been restricted on time however Lake Garda nonetheless provides a stunning experience. Like the other lakes, you’ll discover small towns surrounding the lake — every with one thing to offer guests. There are a ton of mountaineering and outdoor actions, a cable automotive that hoists you high above the lake, and even a citadel to explore.
Getting to Lake Garda from Milan isn’t too difficult. You merely take a practice to the cities of Desenzano and Peschiera (these are the one two cities with a station) and then you’ll be able to take bus or ferry to the other cities on the lake.
Here’s a superb article from The Crowded Planet about what to see and do in Lake Garda.
We advocate reserving your practice tickets by way of ItaliaRail or a third-party website like Omio or TrainLine to e-book your e-tickets.
Turin is a classy and metropolitan city — the truth is, it’s typically referred to as the Paris of Italy because of its lovely architecture. And it’s only a few 60-90 minute practice journey from Milan so it makes a simple day trip.
To be trustworthy, you’ll be able to simply spend a day or two in Turin. You’ll love the royal palaces of Stupinigi and Venaria, the town’s Art Deco and Art Nouveau structure, grand boulevards, a lot of nice old-school cafes, and the town is about on the base of the Alps.
The practice between Turin and Milan is a high-speed practice so we advocate booking as early as potential for the perfect worth. Verify ItaliaRail or a third-party web site like Omio or TrainLine to ebook your e-tickets.
Bologna is one other fashionable day trip that’s only about an hour practice experience from Milan. And, it’s a reasonably small town so you’ll be able to see a lot of what it has to offer in a day. Bologna is a gorgeous city to easily stroll round however you’d be actually lacking out for those who didn’t make meals the primary theme if your journey.
Solo Sophie has a pleasant information for visiting Turin in a day if you want to study extra.
The practice between Bologna and Milan is a high-speed practice so we advocate reserving a number of days prematurely for the perfect worth. Verify ItaliaRail or a third-party web site like Omio or TrainLine to guide your e-tickets.
Verona, which appears to be most well-known for being house of Romeo and Juliet, is a ravishing and vibrant medieval town. You’ll find plenty of allure, cobblestone streets, and not loads of tourists (properly, apart from at Juliet’s balcony). Verona is a romantic city with plenty of previous world appeal and plenty of good sidewalk cafes and restaurants.
Our Candy Adventures has a nice guide to visiting Verona that we found useful.
The practice journey from Milan to Verona takes slightly below 2 hours and will value between €13-€23 each method. Verify ItaliaRail or a third-party website like Omio or TrainLine to e-book your e-tickets.
Our condo in Florence… doesn’t get any higher.
Florence needs no introduction as its considered one of Italy’s greatest and hottest cities. And, to be trustworthy, you must spend a couple of days in Florence, however it’s solely a few 90-minute journey from Milan so it could possibly nonetheless be a day trip.
Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance so there’s artwork all over the place — each in the museum and within the streets. On the middle of the town is the Duomo cathedral however we beloved simply strolling via its streets. We also liked eating in Florence as we had some of our greatest meals right here.
Right here’s our Florence Travel Guide if you wish to study more about what to see and where to eat in this nice metropolis.
The practice between Milan and Florence is a high-speed practice so that you’ll pay a premium for those who guide last minute — anticipate to ay €26-€54 each means relying on if you e-book your tickets. Examine ItaliaRail or a third-party web site like Omio or TrainLine to e-book your e-tickets early.
Make a quick journey to the beautiful hill-town of Bergamo for its medieval appeal and cobblestone streets. The truth is, Bergamo is definitely two cities (an higher and decrease metropolis) which might be related by a walking path and funicular. There are additionally lovely 400-year-old city walls you can stroll alongside. And, in fact, make sure you pattern some native dishes.
The practice experience between Milan and Bergamo takes around an hour and can solely value round €6. Examine ItaliaRail or a third-party website like Omio or TrainLine to e-book your e-tickets.
Truthfully, we wouldn’t advocate doing Venice as a day trip however it’s definitely attainable because of the high-speed practice. The practice takes about 2.5 hours and will value you between €21-€45 each method.
As we talked about before, Venice is greatest seen at night time once the crowds have gone residence so attempt staying in a single day if attainable. But, for all of your die-hard vacationers, you’ll be able to see all Venice’s highlights in a full day so you’ll want to get the early practice into the town.
We advocate reserving your tickets at the very least a number of days prematurely if you want to get the perfect worth. E-book them ItaliaRail or a third-party website like Omio or TrainLine.
Cinque Terre is one other beautiful a part of Italy that may be a day trip from Milan but we expect it deserves no less than two full days to discover. The fundamental attraction of Cinque Terre are the five small fishing villages and the mountaineering trails that join them. These cities get overrun with guests so it’s greatest experienced after everyone leaves around 5 pm.
The practice from Milan to the 5 villages of Cinque Terre takes three+ hours so that additionally makes this a less-than-ideal day journey. Examine Omio or TrainLine to see ticket costs and occasions.
See our Cinque Terre Travel Guide for the whole lot you should find out about visiting this magical a part of Italy.
More Europe Travel Ideas
Milan is generally a fast cease on a much bigger journey by way of Italy and past so listed here are some more articles to assist your travels.
No Funny Enterprise
The Savvy Backpacker is reader-supported. Meaning if you purchase by means of hyperlinks on our website, we might earn an affiliate fee — it doesn’t value you anything additional and it helps help the location.
Thanks For Studying! — Susan and James
Questions? Study extra about our Strict Advertising Coverage and How To Help Us.