Rome is one among Europe’s true heavy hitters so there’s never any shortage of issues to do in Rome. It really has it all — historic sights, world-class museums, superb food, a lot of purchasing, lovely ambiance, and far more.
In this guide, we’ve listed our prime picks that will help you slender down what to do in Rome throughout your next visit.
- 1 Marvel At The Colosseum, Roman Discussion board, and Palatine Hill
- 2 St. Peter’s Basilica and St. Peter’s Square
- 3 Begin Your Day with An Espresso or Two
- 4 Save Time And Money With The Rome Sightseeing Move
- 5 Get Lost In The Trastevere Neighborhood
- 6 The Vatican Museum & The Sistine Chapel
- 7 Throw A Coin In The Trevi Fountain
- 8 Climb the Spanish Steps
- 9 Fill Up on Gelato
- 10 The Pantheon
- 11 Fall In Love With The Centro Storico Neighborhood
- 12 Chill In The Piazza del Popolo
- 13 Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano
- 14 Take A Free Walking Tour
- 15 Piazza Navona and The Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi
- 16 Eat Nicely In The Jewish Ghetto Neighborhood
- 17 Loosen up With an Aperitivo & Drink Basic Italian Cocktails
- 18 Galleria Borghese and Villa Borghese Gardens
- 19 Citadel Saint Angelo and Sant Angelo Bridge
- 20 Chow Down on Roman Cuisine
- 21 Eat Your Weight In Pizza
- 22 Browse The Campo de’ Fiori Farmers Market
- 23 Vittorio Emanuele II Monument
- 24 Benefit from the Capitoline Museums In Peace
- 25 MAXXI Trendy Art Museum
- 26 Centrale Montemartini
- 27 Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
- 28 Store The Galleria Alberto Sordi
- 29 Soak In Superb Views of Rome
- 30 Take A Food Tour or Cooking Class
- 31 Take a Hop-on Hop-off Sightseeing Bus Tour
- 32 Museum Tours and Skip The Line
- 33 Insure Your Trip
Marvel At The Colosseum, Roman Discussion board, and Palatine Hill
The Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill are three of probably the most iconic architectural achievements in all of mankind so everybody ought to see them at the least as soon as.
Every website is included in the usual €12 ticket — however you really need to pre-book your ticket online as they do sell out typically and the ticket strains get insane. Ebook from the official website — there are one million sketchy-looking websites making an attempt to see you marked-up tickets so stick to the official website.
If attainable, attempt visiting in the morning so you’ll be able to beat the crowds and the mid-day sun (there’s primarily no shaded areas).
St. Peter’s Basilica and St. Peter’s Square
St. Peter’s Basilica is the most important church on the planet and a world-class instance of Renaissance architecture. Admission to St. Peter’s is free however you possibly can pay additional to skip the road or take a guided tour.
We also advocate visiting the dome for wonderful views of Rome. Tickets are €8 for the steps and €10 for the elevator.
And, in fact, when you’re there you need to take a look at St. Peter’s Sq. that’s situated in entrance of the basilica.
Local Tip: Go to St. Peter’s in the morning as the strains are already loopy by 10 am and proceed to be 1-2 hour long till mid-afternoon.
Begin Your Day with An Espresso or Two
Sant’ Eustachio Il Caffè
Rome runs on coffee so end up a pleasant espresso bar to kickstart your day. You will discover strong espresso and different espresso drinks on just about each road but there are a couple of iconic espresso bars in Rome that we advocate in search of out.
Listed here are a couple of of our favorites:
- Tazza d’Oro: Based in 1946, Tazza d’Oro is among the most iconic espresso bars in Rome — we love the old-school type they usually’re situated right next to the Pantheon. They even roast their very own beans on-site. They’re most well-known for their granita di caffè — which is an icy slush of espresso, simple syrup, and whipped cream. You’ll see a lot of people having fun with them. See On Google Maps
- Sant’ Eustachio Il Caffè: Probably the most well-known espresso store in Rome is Sant’ Eustachio Il Caffè. This centrally situated espresso store was opened in 1938 they usually’ve been roasting their very own beans onsite ever since. Additionally they make really wonderful pastries so don’t skip these both. There’s some outside seating but you’ll pay a premium to take a seat there to do like the locals and eat/drink at the bar. See On Google Maps
- Sciascia Caffè 1919: The Sciascia Caffè 1919 has a rare combination is being each old-school whereas remaining genuine and beloved by locals. The employees is pleasant they usually make a imply espresso. Additionally they have a nice number of pastries and chocolate. They get rave critiques for their chocolate cappuccino. See On Google Maps
- Antico Caffè Greco: This 18th-century Café and its spectacular ornate interior make you are feeling like you’re stepping back in time. It’s a touristy place in order that they severely overcharge should you sit down but costs are little more affordable for those who stand at the bar. This wouldn’t be our best choice nevertheless it’s a pleasant place to take a look at for those who’re close to the Spanish Steps. See On Google Maps
Insider Ideas: In the event you order a caffè you’ll get an espresso. Cappuccinos are a very fashionable drink but they’re solely ordered during breakfast. Latte means “milk” in order that’s what you’ll get for those who order one. Most Italians drink their espresso at the bar because it’s faster and cheaper.
Save Time And Money With The Rome Sightseeing Move
We’re usually followers of the Rome Card and OMNIA Vatican Cross for a lot of travelers as it permits you to skip the strains at most major points of interest and it’s nice when you plan on seeing so much during your visit. We’ve written an in-depth Rome Cross Evaluation in the event you’re taken with studying more.
Get Lost In The Trastevere Neighborhood
Certainly one of our favourite neighborhoods in Rome is the Trastevere — which translates to “across the Tiber” so it’s unsurprisingly situated across the river from the primary a part of Rome.
This was a working-class area for tons of of years however it’s now a bohemian neighborhood crammed with great unbiased outlets, bars, eating places, sidewalk cafes, and loads of old-world allure. The medieval streets can get somewhat confusing so you’ll get rotated… however that’s part of the enjoyable!
That is additionally an incredible neighborhood to remain in while visiting Rome and there are nonetheless plenty of locals right here so that you’ll experience a pleasant slice of Roman life.
The Vatican Museum & The Sistine Chapel
The subsequent thing on our record of things to do in Rome is visiting the Vatican Museum & The Sistine Chapel. The Vatican museum houses over 70,000 items of paintings that span a number of centuries. You then exit the museum by means of the all the time spectacular Sistine Chapel — you’ll need to spend so much of time here as there are so many details contained in Michelangelo’s Final Judgement fresco.
The essential ticket (which includes each points of interest) is €17 however there’s an additional €four charge to ebook online. E-book tickets from the Official Vatican Website.
Local Tip: The Vatican Museum will get very crowded as a result of they pack in 30,000 visitors a day however it clearly can’t maintain that many individuals. There are a couple of 8:30 am early admission tickets obtainable however those get snatched up shortly. Either approach, pre-booking your ticket is very instructed as it’ll at the least let you skip the ticket line (which may typically be 1-2 hours lengthy).
The crowds are likely to settle down on the end of the day as a lot of the massive groups visit within the morning.
And ignore the “tour guides” outdoors the Vatican — they’re a rip-off.
You can even typically get on to St Peter’s from the Sistine Chapel (and thus skipping the road) by being a bit of sneaky. There is a secret entrance that’s technically reserved for group excursions nevertheless it’s not often enforced.
Throw A Coin In The Trevi Fountain
Sure, the Trevi Fountain in all probability has more vacationer per sq. inch than another place in Rome but there is a cause individuals flock right here. This spectacular over-the-top baroque type fountain is just lovely. Remember to visit at night time as nicely to see it illuminated — plus the crowds are likely to die down a bit after Eight pm or you possibly can visit at like 7 am to primarily a lot have the fountain to your self.
It’s thought-about good luck to throw coins over your shoulder and into the fountain (which adds up to €3k/day and is donated to charity). Be careful for pickpockets.
Climb the Spanish Steps
Make your means up all 135 of the Spanish Steps and remember to cease for a bit to take a seat and loosen up. At the bottom of the steps, you’ll find the gorgeous and energetic Piazza di Spagna. Be careful for pickpockets.
Yes, the Spanish Steps are slightly overrated (and really overcrowded) but they’re still value a visit. The crowds disperse drastically within the evening so we advocate visiting then.
Fill Up on Gelato
gelatoand much more gelato (we ate plenty of gelato)
Rome is residence to many wonderful gelato outlets however additionally they have about 3x as many substandard outlets as properly — so it pays to perform a little research to make sure you’re not losing your time & calories.
Listed here are a couple of of local accepted gelato outlets:
- Gelateria dei Gracchi: Loads of artisan seasonal flavors in addition to many classics. Additionally they have dairy-free and gluten-free choices. Wonderful central location. See On Google Maps
- Gelateria del Teatro: Probably the greatest gelato locations in central Rome. They offer a number of fascinating flavors. Well worth the visit. See on Google Maps
- Otaleg: One of the crucial beloved gelato outlets in Rome is Otaleg so you need to 100% cease by once you’re in the Trastevere. See on Google Maps
- Fiordiluna: Another wonderful do-it-yourself gelato outlets in the Trastevere neighborhood that’s been round for greater than 25 years. See On Google Maps
- Il Gelato di Claudio Torce: You used to need to travel a bit outdoors Rome to style master gelato maker Claudio Torce’s creations but he now has a second location solely a 10-minute stroll from the Colosseum. See on Google Maps
Accomplished in 118 AD, the Pantheon is likely one of the most well-preserved Roman buildings on the planet. In reality, it’s typically referred to as probably the most architecturally good building on the earth and it was residence to the world’s largest dome till trendy occasions. The Pantheon is situated in the very middle of Rome and is surrounded by plenty of bars, eating places, and city life.
The Pantheon is free to enter and Rick Steves presents a free self-guided audio tour of the Pantheon that we discovered worthwhile.
Fall In Love With The Centro Storico Neighborhood
Random road within the Centro Storico
The Centro Storico (aka the town middle) is actually where you’ll discover a lot of the motion in Rome. We extremely recommend spending the day with none kind of plan aside from merely strolling by way of its cobblestone streets and tasting gelato as typically as potential.
Local Tip: There’s a number of dangerous gelato in Rome. The economic junk often comes in plastic tubs and the selfmade gelato is available in metallic containers — so concentrate.
Chill In The Piazza del Popolo
Referred to as the Individuals’s Square, the Piazza del Popolo is an enormous city square in the middle of Rome. In the middle, you’ll find an Egyptian monolith from 10BC. The sq. attracts fairly a couple of individuals however it’s so giant that it not often feels too crowded. It’s also a terrific place for individuals watching.
Local Tip: A lot of the eating places in the area is overpriced and not excellent.
Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano
That is truly the Pope’s official basilica nevertheless it isn’t as well-known as St. Peters — however it’s almost as pretty (and much much less busy). Its decorations are incredibly opulent so that you’ll need to give yourself some time to admire the gorgeous paintings and breathtaking statues of the apostles.
Take A Free Walking Tour
We all the time take a free walking tour once we visit a brand new metropolis as it’s a superb and low cost option to get to know somewhere new. Under are a couple of free excursions (the guides work on ideas).
One of the grandest, most lovely, and most oval-shaped piazzas in Rome is the Piazza Navona. At the middle of the piazza are two beautiful fountains. The piazza is surrounding by touristy cafes and restaurants but the environment is ideal for a drink so overpaying for a glass of wine isn’t the worst use of money.
Eat Nicely In The Jewish Ghetto Neighborhood
So many nice locations to eat!
In case you’re on the lookout for some strong Roman Jewish dishes head to the previous Jewish Ghetto neighborhood as it’s full of wonderful restaurants. Right here’s a pleasant article from Walks of Italy concerning the topic of Roman Jewish delicacies. Furthermore, the world is likely one of the most pretty elements of the town so you’ll love strolling and taking within the historic environment.
Loosen up With an Aperitivo & Drink Basic Italian Cocktails
Aperitivo, which primarily translates to “happy hour” is a vital social tradition in Italy so you need to take part on the enjoyable. In addition to having an excuse to partake in a couple of drinks, many bars round Rome additionally present a free buffet of small snacks that accompany your drink. It’s a good way to get an affordable meal in case you’re on a decent price range.
As far as drinks go, we advocate sampling a couple of local classics like an Aperol Spritz, Negroni, an area beer, and even some local wine.
- Freni e Frizioni: A hip and vibrant bar that serves tasty cocktails & a superb all you possibly can eat buffet during aperitivo within the superior Trastevere neighborhood. Aperitivo drinks value around €8-10. See On Google Maps
- Ai Tre Scalini: This old skool wine bar has been open since 1895. Their completely satisfied hour begins around 7 pm and is shortly buzzing with hip locals. See On Google Maps
- ‘Gusto: A strong Italian restaurant in the middle of Rome that fees €10 for a drink and all you’ll be able to eat buffet aperitivo. See On Google Maps
Galleria Borghese and Villa Borghese Gardens
The Galleria Borghese, recognized for its Baroque artwork, is many people’s favourite museum in Rome. And whereas the Vatican Museum packs individuals in like sardines, the Galleria Borghese puts a restrict on visitors so that makes the experience rather more pleasurable. The limited admission means tickets typically sell out.
Additionally they supply guided excursions — we truly had to ebook a tour in Italian since all the English ones have been booked and the tour was the one solution to go to that day.
Be sure you additionally take a look at the gorgeous 200 acres English-style Villa Borghese Gardens. It’s the third-largest park in Rome and it’s free to enter. You’ll be able to even lease a rowboat for a couple of euros.
Citadel Saint Angelo and Sant Angelo Bridge
The Saint Angelo fort was initially constructed by the Roman Emperor Hadrian has his private mausoleum however it was later converted to a fortress/citadel for the popes. Lately it’s a museum and a enjoyable place to probe for an hour or two.
In entrance of the citadel is a lovely pedestrian bridge constructed in 134 AD that spans the Tiber river. The bridges 10 angel statues assist make it among the best strolls in Rome.
Local Tip: There are nice views of the town, the river, and the Sant Angelo Bridge from the top of the citadel. The fort additionally has a small cafe/restaurant at the prime that provides you an ideal little spot for a drink.
Chow Down on Roman Cuisine
Italian meals is arguably the world’s favorite meals so it is best to get your fill of regional Roman dishes. Listed here are a couple of of our favorites:
- Cacio e Pepe: My personal favorite dish. Cacio e Pepe translates to “cheese and pepper” — it’s simple however scrumptious. Here is a wonderful information from Livia Hengal the place she shares her favourite spots.
- Carbonara: You can also’t go flawed with a simple traditional carbonara made out of egg, arduous cheese, pork cheek, and black pepper.
- Supplì: Traditionally generally known as road food, these little balls of fried rice are full of numerous issues like tomato, meat, or cheese. They’re low cost and attractive so attempt a number of totally different flavors. We advocate Supplì Roma for probably the most genuine experience but we also like Pizzarium and Trapizzino.
- Bucatini all’Amatriciana: Right here’s yet one more simple yet scrumptious pasta dish comprised of tomato sauce, cured pork cheek, and pecorino cheese.
- Carciofi alla Giudìa: One of the well-known and scrumptious Roman Jewish dishes are fried artichokes. That stated, artichokes are solely in season in the course of the spring so it’s greatest to avoid this dish outdoors the springtime. American In Rome has a superb information to discovering one of the best artichokes (both fried and non-fried) in Rome.
Eat Your Weight In Pizza
Pizzarium and Pizzeria ai Marmi
You possibly can’t consider Italian cuisine without having pizza come to thoughts. Rome has its personal fashion of pizza (rectangular slices and a thicker base) so give it a attempt however you can too find basic Neapolitan fashion pizza as properly.
- Pizzarium: This hole-in-the-wall is Anthony Bourdain favorite pizza spot so that’s a reasonably good suggestion. They serve up wonderful slices and this place is roofed in just about each guide guide so it’s all the time busy (however well worth the wait). See on Google Maps
- Pizzeria ai Marmi: This historic and no-nonsense pizzeria is an area favorite that’s all the time busy. They have an open kitchen so you possibly can see pizzas being made. This is a number of the greatest pizza within the Trastevere. See on Google Maps
- La Gatta Mangiona: We’ve talked about each Roman and Neapolitan fashion pizza so it’s fitting that we’re now talking about La Gatta Mangiona because they’re a mix of each types. They’re a neighborhood favorite so that you may need to ebook forward. See on Google Maps
- Da Agostino: We stopped by Da Agostino once we visited the Borghese Gallery (it’s a few 20-min stroll so it’s not precisely next door). This can be a no-frills takeaway spot so don’t anticipate much ambiance — however the employees is tremendous pleasant they usually make wonderful pizza with nice elements. It’s value eating right here when you’re in the space. See on Google Maps
- Al Grottino: Opened in 1936, this old-school pizza place all the time makes individuals’s “best pizza in Rome” listing. This can be a true neighborhood spot so it feels just like the employees is aware of a lot of the locals by identify (they usually typically give them particular remedy compared to vacationers however don’t let that put you off). See on Google Maps
- Emma Pizzeria: A superb instance of Roman-style pizza in a barely elevated setting. We ate right here and liked it — we advocate the margarita with buffalo mozzarella. It’s additionally situated within the middle of Rome so that you gained’t need to journey very far. Reservations aren’t required but you may need to make them. See on Google Maps
Browse The Campo de’ Fiori Farmers Market
The Campo de’ Fiori is an exquisite square within the middle of Rome so it’s value testing even when the market isn’t there. However we all the time love perusing farmers markets and choosing up a number of goodies as we browse. This market is open day-after-day — one of the best produce goes shortly so visit within the morning for the most effective choice.
The Campo de’ Fiori can also be a highly regarded nightlife spot so it fills with individuals nearly every night time.
Vittorio Emanuele II Monument
Additionally know as the Altar of the Fatherland, this big white marble monument (which sort of seems like a marriage cake) was constructed to honor the primary king of a unified Italy — Victor Emmanuel II. You’ll be able to stroll across the grounds totally free however it costs €10 if you want to go to the statement deck for city views.
In front of the monument is the Piazza Venezia — the primary visitors thoroughfare. If nothing else, it’s enjoyable to observe all the loopy scooters and automobiles zoom by.
Benefit from the Capitoline Museums In Peace
The Capitoline Museums is actually a single museum that accommodates two smaller museums/archeological sites (they’re all accessible underneath one ticket). In reality, the museums on the location date back to 1471 but the Capitoline officially opened in 1734 — making it the oldest museums on the earth.
A majority of the gathering consists of work and sculpture. The Capitoline tends to get skipped by many guests so it’s rather more pleasurable than the Vatican Museum relating to big crowds. It additionally provides wonderful views of the Roman Forum.
MAXXI Trendy Art Museum
In a city full of historic history, the MAXXI Trendy Art Museum presents a pleasant change of pace. They don’t have a huge assortment however admission is simply €5 after 5 pm so it’s value testing for that worth when you’re in the space.
The Centrale Montemartini is a little bit of an oddball museum. Constructed in a former powerplant, this museum is full of Greek & Roman statues alongside the previous powerplant machinery — it’s an fascinating juxtaposition however it works. It doesn’t appeal to much of a crowd so it’s not nice escape from the hoards.
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
In a city filled with churches, the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore must be near the top of your record. Inbuilt 435 AD, the basilica has been overhauled many occasions through the years so that you’ll find many various architectural types. It’s additionally free to enter so it makes an awesome spot to escape the summer time heat.
Store The Galleria Alberto Sordi
Constructed in 1922, the Galleria Alberto Sordi is an exquisite coated shopping mall/arcade. It has a modest range of buying choices and some cafes/bars but we beloved merely wanting at the mosaic floors and stained glass ceilings. Additionally they have free wifi if you’ll want to update your Instagram.
Local Tip: There are lots of different buying options in the space — from international chain shops to high-end designer boutiques.
Soak In Superb Views of Rome
The view from Gianicolo Hill
Rome is beautiful from all angles — particularly from above. Listed here are a couple of of the perfect locations to attain a tremendous panoramic view of Rome.
- Gianicolo Hill: Most individuals agree that the most effective views of Rome might be discovered from the top of Gianicolo Hill. Situated just behind the Trastevere neighborhood, Gianicolo Hill is the second-tallest hill in the metropolis so provides you views of just about each main sight. It’s a superb place to observe the sunset after which head down the hill for dinner within the Trastevere. See On Google Maps
- Villa Borghese: Head as much as the gorgeous Villa Borghese for some strong views of Rome’s rooftops. It’s not as impressive as Gianicolo Hill however it’s also within the middle of city. See on Google Maps
- St. Peter’s Basilica Dome: St. Peter’s Basilica is already on the must-visit record for most guests so make a while to additionally go to its dome for extra wonderful views of the town. See on Google Maps
- Il Vittoriano Monument: The marginally ugly Il Vittoriano Monument won’t be the favourite factor to take a look at from the bottom but there we strong views from the highest. See on Google Maps
Take A Food Tour or Cooking Class
Learning find out how to make recent pasta and meatballs!
What’s our favourite solution to study a tradition? Meals! That’s why we’re big followers of booth food tours and cooking courses — we do at the very least one in every new city we visit. There are dozens of meals tours and cooking courses in Rome so we advise searching Get Your Guide to see what tours look fascinating to you.
Listed here are a number of fashionable options:
Take a Hop-on Hop-off Sightseeing Bus Tour
Need to see so much in a brief amount of time? Contemplate taking a Hop-off Sightseeing Bus Tour because it’s a simple and reasonably priced approach to get a “lay of the land.”
Museum Tours and Skip The Line
Brief on time or actually into learning? Look into taking a personal museum tour. Not only will you study more about what you’re taking a look at, however you’ll in all probability also get to skip the long ticket line. Verify Get Your Guide to see what is out there.
Insure Your Trip
I know it sounds lame but we advocate buying journey insurance as it may save you a ton of money if one thing goes fallacious while touring. In reality, we noticed someone get hit but a scooter who ran by way of a crosswalk — which in all probability occurs quite a bit in Rome. We advocate World Nomads as they’re low cost but still supply strong protection.
No Humorous Business
The Savvy Backpacker is reader-supported. Meaning whenever you buy via links on our website, we might earn an affiliate fee — it doesn’t value you anything additional and it helps help the location.
Thanks For Reading! — Susan and James
Questions? Study extra about our Strict Promoting Coverage and How To Help Us.